Friday, May 1, 2020

How to Leave Quasi-Recovery // Why You Shouldn't Stop Halfway

Hi Warrior, how are you doing? Do you find that self-isolation is testing you? You are definitely not alone, and I think this week's video (and last week's video on bingeing/body checking during COVID-19) might be of help!
The current situation is *the dream* for any residual eating disorder that may still be clinging on in the background of your quasi recovery. But maybe that's a blessing in disguise... because if you find yourself in quasi-recovery, maybe this can provide that tiny little push to fight your way out!

You are NOT recovered from your eating disorder if, regardless of BMI, you restrict your intake. You are NOT recovered if, in spite of weight gain, you still experience excessive food-related thoughts. You are NOT recovered, in spite of significant steps you have made, if you automatically revert back to disordered behaviours at difficult times such as this.

I’m not saying this to bring you down. I’m saying this to help you up. If you are stuck in quasi-recovery, there ARE ways to break through. Whilst scary, it is worth it.

I myself was stuck in quasi-recovery for years and years. When I finally got out, I couldn’t believe why I hadn’t fought for this freedom earlier. So I'm sharing my insights, tips and tricks with you all today on YouTube!



I also shared some other helpful videos lately (am definitely keeping busy to deal with this crazy situation), so don't forget to watch them too!

I’m all for challenging your fears, and I'm all for favoring the brownie over the fruit salad if that's what you need and/or crave. I'm also all for having the salad. What it boils down to is not the food itself, but the decision process behind it. Are you choosing the brownie because you want to? Are you having the apple because you feel you have to? These are all little cues that the eating disorder is still present and has yet to be kicked out completely.

Health is nourishing your body AND allowing this to coexist with food freedom. It is having the soup AND the toastie, the veggies AND the pasta.  Health is also moving your body AND giving it rest, being productive AND taking me-time. It is living in balance rather than reverting to either extreme, and (of course) doing this without giving into the eating disorder’s wishes, just because YOU want to. THAT is what health is. THAT is what recovery is. THAT is the end-goal.

However, when you break a leg, you don't expect to run on it as soon as you start using crutches... not even as soon as the cast comes off! When you fall into debt, you don't expect to pay it all off as soon as you accept a new job!  Likewise, you can't expect the eating disorder, the extreme hunger, and any of the other symptoms to fade just like that as soon as you start taking steps in the right direction. For one, it may just take time to 'pay off the debt'. In addition, you may still have mental blocks keeping some of the disordered behaviour in place, or you may still overexercise, keeping your body in a state of stress.

It's a matter of challenging the beliefs and the behaviours, doing this repeatedly, and giving it the time that it needs. If you need help... seek help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments with me! I absolutely love to hear from you :-)