Sunday, February 20, 2022

Sometimes, I Hate my Skinny Body

'I wish I'd recovered into a bigger body', I used to tell myself whenever I received another nasty comment. I made this video a while ago, but I'm finally ready to address it. And I'm ready to move on. So here's the honest truth.


Sometimes it scares me that this is the only body I’ll ever have. But mostly I’m grateful. I’ve had this body for a while now; I will have it for a long time to come --> all the more chance to learn to love it unconditionally. 

Here’s what unconditional self-love means to me: 
  • accepting that my body isn’t ‘perfect’ in every sense of the word, but that it is perfect to me
  • acknowledging that my body does so much for me, and that it sustains me every day 
  • taking care of my body like it takes care of me, without restriction, self-harm or guilt 

I won’t feel pretty or ‘sexy’ or grateful every day. I won’t always find it easy to abstain from maladaptive coping strategies, especially after years of consolidating these behaviours. But, on the whole, I am happy. And that’s all I could ever ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments with me! I absolutely love to hear from you :-)